Friday, August 13, 2010

Breakfast Casserole

I recently signed up for a cooking service at my church. My first assignment is to make breakfast casseroles for the leadership brunch this saturday. I love breakfast casserole and make it regularly for my husband and I. When I cook for other people calorie count goes out the window soo my usual made with canadian bacon, whole wheat bread, and 2% milk was not cutting it for this brunch. I came up with a recipe using buttermilk biscuits. I hope you like it!

8 refrigerated or frozen biscuits cooked to package directions
4 pieces white bread
3 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
6 eggs
1 pound maple sausage
salt and pepper
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Brown sausage in a pan and break into small pieces. Cut biscuits in half. Preheat oven 350 degrees

In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, cream, 1tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper. whisk together well. You don't want any egg whites in clumps. Now it time to assembly

In a casserole pan (it can be 13x9 or a smaller deeper one) layer bottom half of biscuits to completely cover (tear and stick into crack) top with layer 1/3 of sausage and 2 handfuls cheese. layer bread slices (not to cover, just to act as filler because this casserole likes to sink in the middle), sausage, then cheese, layer biscuit tops (dont worry about covering just arrange to look pretty) sausage, then cheese.
Pour egg mixture slowly over layers making sure to touch every inch. Lay foil over and press down to make sure liquid covers biscuit tops. (let them absorb a little then release) let sit for a few hours or over night in refrigerator or cook immediately. Cook covered with foil for 35 minutes, the uncover and cook for another 30 minutes until browned and when you pull at the middle no liquid bubbles out. Remove from oven let sit for 10-15 minutes to set and enjoy.

There are so many ways to make a breakfast casserole. It can be frenchtoast, chocolate, fruity, spicy, savory, less fattening... if you have and idea it will probably work. If you would like some more versions from me please leave a comment and I would love to share more.
Bon Appetit!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment