Friday, August 20, 2010

Coconut Cake

I love coconut cake and a recipe from Paula Deen is my favorite but takes a long time to make. I have made a shorter version that everyone goes crazy over.

cake:
1 package white cake mix
1 can coconut milk

Filling:
1/2 unsweetened coconut flakes
1 cup vanilla yogurt (I just use a container that I would eat)
4 tbs milk

Frosting:
Buttercream Icing from store (Publix has fresh made in bakery)
1 tbs coconut extract
2 cups coconut flakes

Follow directions according to cake box, but instead of water or milk use coconut milk. Bake in 2 round cake pans sprayed with nonstick spray and dusted with flour. Cool completely. Place one layer in center of cake stand.
*Tip* slide wax or parchment paper under edge to catch any icing and coconut, when you remove it your cake stand is clean!

Mix all ingredients for filling together. With the end of a wooden spoon or a wooden skewer punch holes in top of cake. Pour half filling onto cake and work into holes. Repeat with second layer.

Mix coconut extract into butter cream and then spread onto cake generously. Sprinkle coconut flakes on top of cake and press into sides.

Remove wax paper.
Bon Appetit!!

I have an idea for next time I make this cake that I want to share. I want to prepare instant coconut pudding to pile between the layers. I think it would be really good. For those of you who try this before I do. You would need to reduce the amount of liquid called for in the pudding to make sure it gets really thick and do it ahead of time so it has time to thicken and get cold. I like this cake cold anyway, but if you used the pudding it would have to stay refrigerated.
Let me know what you think!!

No comments:

Post a Comment