Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Just the Beginning...Chicken and Tomatoes with Brussel Sprouts

I recently decided to blog about cooking. For my first post I want to introduce myself. I am Michaele (pronounced Michael) from charleston, South Carolina. I'm married to an amazing husband for 2 years and have the best dog in the world, a chocolate lab named Georgia (after the Bulldogs!! Go Dogs!!). My stress relief, my hobby, my enjoyment (aside for serving my Heavenly Father) is cooking. I love it!! I love the instant gratification of serving something delectable. I love sharing what I make with friends and family. I feel that everyone has talents and a means to serve others, I believe mine is with food. So I wanted to share it with whoever would listen, or in this case read. Nothing I do is hard!! NOTHING!! I have a full time job and an active social life, but I still cook 5 or 6 nights a week. Something simply, delicous, reasonably healthy, fast and affordable. All of my friends ask me for recipies or ask how I know what to buy at the store and how to plan dinners? This is my effort to show what I do and show that anyone can do it!! I promise. Take last night for my first shared recipie. It was super easy and probably cost $5 to serve my husband and I!!

Chicken Topped with Tomatoes side of brussel sprouts.
2 Frozen Chicken breast or 4 Chicken Cutlets
3 clove garlic or garlic powder
1 can diced tomatoes with garlic
1/2 bag thawed brussel sprouts or buy fresh cut in half
1 slice bacon cut into bite size pieces
oil
salt and pepper

Preheat oven 400 degrees. Defrost chicken or by fresh and lightly salt and pepper both sides. In a fry pan render bacon for about 5 minutes on medium low heat, add 2 gloves chopped garlic and cook 2 minutes until softened (or sprinkle powder generously over sprouts once you add them to bacon) add sprouts and toss in bacon fat until all are coated (if they look dry add a little oil and toss). Then dump sprouts onto large baking sheet in 1 layer and bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees close to top.

Meanwhile, Heat 1 tablespoon any oil you want ( I use extra light Olive oil or canola oil) in same pan. Add 1 chopped garlic glove (if using garlic powder sprinkle it on the chicken generously). Add chicken to pan (if doesn't immediately sizzle then pan is not hot enough) cook chicken about 5 minutes each side or until browned. Then add can of tomotoes and cook 10 -15 miutes until some of the liquid is evaporated.

Pull brussel sprouts out of oven and chicken serve with chicken topped with tomotoes.
Enjoy!!

You will find that I do not cook alot of Carbs with my dinner, exept for the occasional pasta dish. But if you find a starch completes your meal, keep those minute rices on hand or that pasta in box for a quick starchy side.

No comments:

Post a Comment