Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Steak Dinner

Every 3-4 months I go to Sams or Costco and stock up on fish, chicken, steak, pork tenderloin, and shrimp. I spend about $100 and when I get home I divide and freeze in portions for 2. Every morning I can grab a perfect portion of meat out of the freezer, put in the refrigerator, and when I get home from work it is ready to cook. Yesterday morning I pulled out Filet Mignon. One tip I always turn to is when cooking rich foods, such as a filet, you can go smaller in portions. I usually get 6 oz filets, which doesn't look like much, but when paired with a larger helping of vegetables you have a filling, satisfying meal without loading up on fat and calories.  Here is how i made it.

(2) 6 oz filet mignon sprinkles with salt, pepper and garlic
Heavy Skillet lighted rubbed with butter
1 tsp oil

side: steamed broccoli florets (frozen or fresh)
salt and pepper
garlic powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Preheat oven 400 degrees. In the heay skillet, heat oil. When hot add filets (if doesn't immediately sizzle, not hot enough). cook 4 minutes each side or until browned. Put whole skillet in oven middle rack and bake for 10-13 minutes for medium. When steak has reached desired doneness, cover with foil (but allow heat to escape) and let it rest on counter for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile for broccoli, put about a 1 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and the cayenne in the bottom of a medium saucepan. add 1/2 to 3/4 inch of water (about 1/2 cup) and add whole bag of broccoli (usually 9-12 oz). Turn on high and let steam for 15-20 minutes, until tender.
Enjoy!

It is said that vegetables lose their nutrients when boiled, so I always broil, steam, grill, and add lots of spices in order to get the most of my food with out adding calories.

If you are the type of person (like my husband) who thinks steak sauce is a must. Avoid the calories and sugars in store bought sauce and make you own. Here is how:

Remove steak from skillet. Put skillet on burner on medium, add 1 cup stock (chicken, beef or vegetable) or 1 cup water and a bouillon cube to hot skillet and stir scrapping all the brown bits from bottom of skillet. (you can do half wine and 1/2 stock if you'd like) bring to a simmer and reduce liquid by half. salt and pepper to taste. spoon over steak. 

I would love to hear from anyone who reads and/or tries my recipes!!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I found your blog! Can't wait to try these recipes - Cameron thanks you, as well, haha!

    ReplyDelete